- December 30, 2016
- Posted by: Sage College
- Category: Announcements
Urgent – School Closure Notification
Effective immediately, it is with great sadness that we announce the closure of Sage College.
On December 12, 2016, our accrediting agency, ACICS, lost their Appeal to the United States Department of Education, DOE, to continue operating as an accrediting agency. This means that Sage College is no longer an accredited institution. This situation affects every school that was formerly approved by ACICS. it is not Sage College specific in any way.
Administrative support will be available during the coming weeks to assist in any way we can as you explore the options that are available to you. Please see the attached list of court reporting and paralegal programs for your review.
Your official transcript will be mailed to you within the next few days, and your records will remain available for request via a link on our website.
It may be possible for you to discharge your federal student loans and not have to repay them under certain circumstances. For more information about this, click here to learn more about discharging your federal student loans. http://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/closed-school
You may also log into https://www.nslds.ed.gov/npas/index.htm to view your personal financial aid information. Please note all scheduled financial aid payments will not be processed.
For California residents only, when you enrolled you paid an assessment to the Student Tuition Recovery Fund (STRF). The State of California created STRF to relieve or mitigate economic losses suffered by California residences who where students while attending certain schools regulated by the Bureau of Private Postsecondary Education.
Representatives from the Bureau for Private Postsecondary will be contacting you directly and scheduling a meeting for you at Sage College to discuss your options and explain the STRF program noted below. We hope you will be able to make this informative meeting.
You may be eligible for STRF if you are a California Resident; prepaid tuition, paid the STRF assessment, and suffered an economic loss as a result of any of the following:
- The school closed before the course of instruction was completed.
- The school’s failure to pay refunds or charges on behalf of the student to a third party for license fees or any other purpose, or to provide equipment or materials for which a charge was collected within on hundred eighty (180) calendar days before the closure of the school.
- The school’s failure to pay or reimburse loan proceeds under a federally guaranteed student loan program as required by law or to pay or reimburse proceeds received by the school prior to closure in excess of tuition or other cost.
- There was a decline in the quality of the course of instruction within (30) calendar days before the school closed or, if the decline began earlier than thirty (30) calendar days prior to closure, the period of decline determined by the Bureau.
- An inability to collect on a judgement against the institution for a violation of the California Private Postsecondary Education Act of 2009.
However, no claim can be paid to any student without a social security number or taxpayer identification number.
The Bureau’s physical address is 2535 Capitol Oaks Drive, Suite 400, Sacramento, California, 95833 and its website address is http://www.bppe.ca.gov
We hope you accept our sincere apologies for this unprecedented situation for which we have no control. It has been a privilege and honor to serve you during your period of enrollment at Sage College.
Sharon R. Goupil
COURT REPORTING AND PARALEGAL PROGRAMS
The links below will help you explore some of the options for continuing your education. We wish you the very best in your future endeavors.
Court Reporting and Paralegal Programs
NCRA Court Reporting Approved Programs:
California Approved Public Programs:
Best Online Paralegal Studies Programs 2016
These links do not comprise of all Court Reporting and Paralegal programs available. Sage College does not endorse or approve any program listed. The links are provided for your reference only. Any school listed that was ACICS accredited is bound by the same limitations of Sage College.